First Year Block Scheduling
As of Fall 2017, all first-year students will be enrolled into a full schedule of classes for their first fall quarter and into a partial schedule for the following winter and spring quarters.
Please see the Academic Advising website for more information about year-long block scheduling: https://advising.calpoly.edu/block-schedules
Block Scheduling - Winter and Spring Quarters
- Students will only be placed into critical major and/or support classes for winter and spring quarters, and will not include any general education (GE) classes (with the exception of GE Area A1).
- Students will see which courses they are enrolled in a few days before the enrollment appointments begin for these quarters. Click the link to see the exact dates: Calendars and Deadlines
- Students should review their block schedule before their enrollment appointment. If they are scheduled for less than a full-time block schedule or would like to take more units, students are expected to supplement their schedule with additional classes according to their degree flowchart.
- Students are strongly encouraged to consult with their academic advisor in the CAED Advising Center before dropping or changing any of the courses in their block schedule.
We recommend using the SWAP feature ("Swap, Not Drop"). If dropping a course, there is no guarantee students can get into another specific course.
Click this link for more information on how to"swap": https://registrar.calpoly.edu/student-center
Please use the checklist below to make sure you are prepared for Winter/Spring Quarter Registration.
- Check Student Center for Holds and Warnings
All holds must be cleared. Check your Student Center on your Cal Poly Portal to make sure you do not have any holds on your account. If you do have a hold, you need to contact the department to find out how to have the hold removed.
- View your 1st and 2nd Round of Registration Appointment
Students are assigned the day/time that they can make changes to their block schedule (if necessary). Mark your calendar for your scheduled enrollment appointment date and time.
1st Round of Registration Appointment can enroll up to 16 units only.
2nd Round of Registration Appointment can enroll up to 22 units.
Note: ARCH students should add ARCH 101 course during 2nd round of registration.
- View blocked schedule courses
To access block schedule, click on "My Class Schedule" and select the Winter/Spring Quarter.
- View your Degree Progress Report (DPR)
Run your Degree Progress Report to check what degree requirements you have and/or will be fulfilling.
Learn more about DPR here: https://registrar.calpoly.edu/DegreeProgressReport
- Update your Flowchart
Use your DPR, cross off the courses you already have credit for, and circle the ones you are enrolled in. This will help you to determine if you need to add or make changes to your block schedule. Your flowchart is a great tool to track your progress and plan ahead.
Find your flowchart here: http://flowcharts.calpoly.edu/mymap.php
- Use PASS if changes or additions are necessary to your block schedule
PASS (Plan a Student Schedule) is an online schedule of classes that allows students to plan their courses for the next quarter. It is highly recommended that you attend a PASS Party at one of the residential halls (CAED advisors will be available at Sequoia hall PASS Party).
For more information about how to use PASS, see: https://registrar.calpoly.edu/plan-student-schedule-pass
- Update your PolyPlanner
Once you completed registration, update your PolyPlanner with any modifications and plan the following two quarters with courses from your flowchart based on your current enrollment. Your PolyPlanner must be updated each quarter to reflect your actual course enrollment and your plans for subsequent quarters.
To learn more about PolyPlanner see: https://registrar.calpoly.edu/polyplanner
Please contact email@example.com with any questions or concerns you may have about your block schedule or registration.
Appointments and Walk-ins available Monday-Friday 9am to 4pm
Location: Bldg. 05-Room 210