CAED Technical Support
CAED Tech Team
Building 05, Room 105A
Cal Poly students, faculty, and staff may download various software titles at no cost or purchase software at a significant discount. Below is a list of commonly used software in the CAED and links on how to obtain the software.
- Office 365 Applications (Free Download from Cal Poly Office 365 online account)
- Windows 10 Education (Free Download from "OnTheHub" under "Microsoft Imagine" tab)
- Adobe® Creative Cloud™ (Purchase from "OnTheHub")
- Rhino (In Store Purchase Only from Cal Poly University Store)
- SketchUp (Purchase from Creation Engine)
- AutoDesk Education Products (Free Download from AutoDesk Education)
- Anti-Virus (Free Download from Cal Poly Software)
OneDrive is a component of the Cal Poly Office 365 suite and provides 1 TB (terabyte) of cloud storage. OneDrive allows users to upload and share files, in addition to creating and editing Office documents through a Web browser.
CAED Shared Server
The CAED Shared Server is a cloud based server where CAED students and faculty can easily share files. Please remember the CAED Shared Server is not backed up and is cleared off between spring and summer terms. The CAED is not responsible for any data loss so always have a backup copy of your data.
- Open any browser and go to this address: http://caedshared.calpoly.edu/
- Login using your Cal Poly Portal username and password. If you type your password wrong three times you will be locked out for 30 minutes or call 756-7000 to get your account unlocked.
- Create a folder on the server and upload (drag) your files to that folder. This system does not allow uploading or downloading of folders.
- To share your files with others, create a folder in /Shared/All Students.
CAED Computer Labs
To use your department's computer lab, you need to login with your Cal Poly Portal username and password. If you cannot login please check with the Cal Poly Service Desk 756-7000 to make sure your account is not locked.
The CAED has various computer labs that provide printing. Please visit the following link to help understand the printing process.
Windows on a Mac
The CAED Tech Team has put together a Virtual "Windows 10 Student Edition" environment for your Mac for running programs such as AutoCAD, Revit, Rhino, etc. Your Mac should have at least 70 gigs of free hard drive space for this to be successful.
- Download and install "VirtualBox for OS X hosts" from
- Download and install "VirtualBox Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack for All supported platforms" https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
- The are 2 different Virtual Environments you can choose from:
"Windows_10_Base" is a base install with no CAD programs
"Windows_10_AutoDesk" has AutoCAD and Revit which both will need your student registration info from the AutoDesk Education Community
- Here is the Download link to the CAED Windows 10 Virtual Environments. These are large files so make sure you have a good internet connection as a slow connection can cause problems.
- Once the download is complete and you have already installed VirtualBox and the Extension Pack double click the downloaded Virtual Environment file from your downloads. After this import is finished you can delete this file from your downloads folder.
- After Windows is up and running successfully you will need to register "Windows 10 Student Edition" with the serial number obtained from "OnTheHub". You will also need to register your AutoDesk products from the serial numbers obtained from the AutoDesk Education Community
To get connected to the Cal Poly "Secure Mustang Wireless" network please refer to Mustang Wireless for a complete set of directions. If you have any questions about your Cal Poly Portal username or password, contact the Cal Poly Service Desk 756-7000
Download WiFi fix: Mac and Windows