CAED Technical Support
CAED Tech Team
Building 05, Room 105A
Minimum recommended requirements for successful computing in the CAED
Cal Poly students, faculty, and staff may download various software titles at no cost or purchase software at a significant discount. Below is a list of commonly used software in the CAED and links on how to obtain the software.
- Office 365 Applications (Free Download from Cal Poly Office 365 online account)
- Windows 10 Education (Free Download from "OnTheHub" under "Microsoft Imagine" tab)
- Adobe® Creative Cloud™ (Purchase from "OnTheHub")
- Rhinocerous (Download fully functional 90 day evaluation version from Rhino website and purchase license from Cal Poly University Store at a discount)
- SketchUpPro (Purchase from Creation Engine)
- AutoDesk Education Products (Free Download from AutoDesk Education)
- Anti-Virus (Free Download from Cal Poly Software)
If you are using high end rendering software such as Rhino and VRay and need full dedicated processing and video power, this method for installing Windows on a Mac would best suit your needs. You will need at least 200 GB (gigabytes) of free space on your Mac. Dedicate/partition at least 125 GB of hard drive space to Windows when installing Boot Camp.
Installing Boot Camp instructions
Getting Windows 10 Education ISO
Free Download from "OnTheHub" under "Microsoft Imagine" tab
Windows on a Mac with VirtualBox
If you are using AutoDesk applications a virtual environment could work fine for you. Your Mac should have at least 75 GB of free hard drive space for this to be successful. Link to video instructions
- Download and install "Oracle VM VirtualBox" for Mac OS X Platform
- Download and add "Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack" by launching VirtualBox, Preferences, Extensions and add the downloaded extension here.
- Download one of the following Windows 10 Education VirtualBox images. These files are large so make sure you have a good internet connection.
Download Windows 10 with no applications installed (4.9 GB)
Download Windows 10 with AutoCAD and Revit 2019 installed (18.1 GB)
- Launch VirtualBox from your Applications folder and go to Settings then System. Under Motherboard, adjust Base Memory and under Processor, adjust Processors to between the red and green. Click OK then "Start".
- Once Windows is up and running click the Devices menu, then click "Insert Guest Additions CD image" then double click "File Explorer". Go to "CD Drive D:" then double click and install "VBoxWindowsAdditions".
- AutoCAD and Revit will need your student registration info from the AutoDesk Education Community.
- After Windows is up and running successfully you will need to register "Windows 10 Student Edition" with the serial number obtained from "OnTheHub".
OneDrive is a component of the Cal Poly Office 365 suite and provides 1 TB (terabyte) of cloud storage. OneDrive allows users to upload and share files, in addition to creating and editing Office documents through a Web browser.
CAED Computer Labs
To use your department's computer lab, you need to login with your Cal Poly Portal username and password. If you cannot login please check with the Cal Poly Service Desk 756-7000 to make sure your account is not locked.
The CAED has various computer labs that provide printing. Please visit the following link to help understand the printing process.
To get connected to the Cal Poly "Secure Mustang Wireless" network please refer to Mustang Wireless for a complete set of directions. If you have any questions about your Cal Poly Portal username or password, contact the Cal Poly Service Desk 756-7000
Download WiFi fix: Mac and Windows