CAED Technical Support
Find answers to common questions
Student Resources for Learning Remotely
A resource guide and links for Canvas/Zoom and other technologies unique to CAED's virtual instruction.
Virtual Computer Labs (AppStream)
Virtual Computer Labs is a cloud-based application streaming service that enables Cal Poly students, faculty and staff to access specialized academic software previously only available in on-campus labs—using a web browser.
Software for your Personal Computer
Cal Poly students, faculty, and staff may download various software titles at no cost or purchase software at a significant discount. Below is a list of commonly used software in the CAED and links to obtain the software and licenses. Other Cal Poly software can be accessed here.
- Office 365 Applications (Free from Cal Poly Office 365 online account)
- Adobe® Creative Cloud (Discounted for students and free to faculty)
- AutoDesk Education Products (Free from AutoDesk Education)
- Rhinoceros 7 - Mac and Windows (Purchase student license online from the Cal Poly University Store)
- SketchUp Studio - Mac and Windows (Students purchase from Creation Engine and reduced cost to faculty)
- Microsoft Project and other Microsoft Software - Windows (Free download - "Sign In" with your full Cal Poly email address, click "Software" and search for "Project")
- Microsoft Windows 10 Education (Free download of ISO and Product Key - "Sign In" with your full Cal Poly email address, click "Software", search for "Windows 10" and download the current version)
- Lumion Pro Student - Windows (Free license)
- Bluebeam Revu - Windows (Check with your instructor for a free license)
- V-Ray for Rhino - Various versions for Mac and Windows (Check with your instructor for version)
Windows on a Mac with Boot Camp
Windows on a Mac is not supported by Cal Poly so make sure you have it up and running "before" coming to Cal Poly. If you have a Mac and your department requires you to run software that only runs on Windows for full dedicated processing and video power, this method of installing Windows on a Mac would best suit your needs. You will need at least 200 GB of free space on your Mac. Dedicate/partition at least 150 GB of hard drive space to Windows when installing Boot Camp. Visit Apple's website for detailed instructions.
Minimum recommended computer requirements for successful computing in the CAED
Cal Poly OneDrive
OneDrive is a component of the Cal Poly Office 365 suite and provides 5 terabytes of cloud storage. OneDrive allows users to upload and share files, in addition to creating and editing Office documents through a Web browser.
Financial Assistance for Students
If you have incurred additional expenses due to the change in campus operations (due to COVID-19), you may be eligible to apply for an emergency grant to cover these expenses. Please visit https://basicneeds.calpoly.edu/calpolycares for more information and to apply.