CAED Technical Support
A resource guide and links for Canvas/Zoom and other technologies unique to CAED's virtual instruction.
Virtual Computer Labs is a cloud-based application streaming service that enables Cal Poly students, faculty and staff to access specialized academic software previously only available in on-campus labs—using a web browser.
Software for your Personal Computer
Cal Poly students, faculty, and staff may download various software titles at no cost or purchase software at a significant discount. Below is a list of commonly used software in the CAED and links to obtain the software and licenses. Other Cal Poly software can be accessed here.
- Office 365 Applications (Free from Cal Poly Office 365 online account)
- Adobe® Creative Cloud (Discounted for students and free to faculty)
- AutoDesk Education Products (Free from AutoDesk Education)
- Rhinoceros 7 - Mac and Windows (Purchase student license online from the Cal Poly University Store)
- SketchUp Studio - Mac and Windows (Students purchase from Creation Engine and reduced cost to faculty)
- Microsoft Project and other Microsoft Software - Windows (Free download - "Sign In" with your full Cal Poly email address, click "Software" and search for "Project")
- Microsoft Windows 10 Education (Free download of ISO and Product Key - "Sign In" with your full Cal Poly email address, click "Software", search for "Windows 10" and download the current version)
- Lumion Pro Student - Windows (Free license)
- Bluebeam Revu - Windows (Check with your instructor for a free license)
- V-Ray for Rhino - Various versions for Mac and Windows (Check with your instructor for version)
Windows on a Mac is not supported by Cal Poly so make sure you have it up and running "before" coming to Cal Poly. If you have a Mac and your department requires you to run software that only runs on Windows for full dedicated processing and video power, this method of installing Windows on a Mac would best suit your needs. You will need at least 200 GB of free space on your Mac. Dedicate/partition at least 150 GB of hard drive space to Windows when installing Boot Camp. Visit Apple's website for detailed instructions.
OneDrive is a component of the Cal Poly Office 365 suite and provides 5 terabytes of cloud storage. OneDrive allows users to upload and share files, in addition to creating and editing Office documents through a Web browser.
If you have incurred additional expenses due to the change in campus operations (due to COVID-19), you may be eligible to apply for an emergency grant to cover these expenses. Please visit https://basicneeds.calpoly.edu/calpolycares for more information and to apply.