CAED Technical Support
CAED Tech Team
Building 05, Room 105A
Cal Poly students, faculty, and staff may download various software titles at no cost or purchase software at a significant discount. Below is a list of commonly used software in the CAED and links on how to obtain the software.
- Office 365 Applications (Free Download from Cal Poly Office 365 online account)
- Windows 10 Education (Free Download from "OnTheHub" under "Microsoft Imagine" tab)
- Adobe® Creative Cloud™ (Purchase from "OnTheHub")
- Rhino (In Store Purchase Only from Cal Poly University Store)
- SketchUp (Purchase from Creation Engine)
- AutoDesk Education Products (Free Download from AutoDesk Education)
- Anti-Virus (Free Download from Cal Poly Software)
If you are using 3D rendering software that only runs on Windows and need full dedicated processing power, this method for installing Windows on a Mac would best suit your needs.
Windows on a Mac with VirtualBox
If you are using light weight apps like AutoCAD and Revit or for occasional use, a virtual environment could work fine. Virtual "Windows 10 Student Edition" environment for your Mac for running programs such as AutoCAD, Revit, Rhino, etc. Your Mac should have at least 70 gigs of free hard drive space for this to be successful.
- Download and install "VirtualBox for OS X hosts" from
- Download and install "VirtualBox Oracle VM VirtualBox Extension Pack for All supported platforms" https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
- The are 2 different Virtual Environments you can choose from:
"Windows_10_Base" is a base install with no CAD programs
"Windows_10_AutoDesk" has AutoCAD and Revit which both will need your student registration info from the AutoDesk Education Community
- Here is the Download link to the CAED Windows 10 Virtual Environments. These are large files so make sure you have a good internet connection as a slow connection can cause problems.
- Once the download is complete and you have already installed VirtualBox and the Extension Pack double click the downloaded Virtual Environment file from your downloads. After this import is finished you can delete this file from your downloads folder.
- After Windows is up and running successfully you will need to register "Windows 10 Student Edition" with the serial number obtained from "OnTheHub". You will also need to register your AutoDesk products from the serial numbers obtained from the AutoDesk Education Community
OneDrive is a component of the Cal Poly Office 365 suite and provides 1 TB (terabyte) of cloud storage. OneDrive allows users to upload and share files, in addition to creating and editing Office documents through a Web browser.
CAED Computer Labs
To use your department's computer lab, you need to login with your Cal Poly Portal username and password. If you cannot login please check with the Cal Poly Service Desk 756-7000 to make sure your account is not locked.
The CAED has various computer labs that provide printing. Please visit the following link to help understand the printing process.
To get connected to the Cal Poly "Secure Mustang Wireless" network please refer to Mustang Wireless for a complete set of directions. If you have any questions about your Cal Poly Portal username or password, contact the Cal Poly Service Desk 756-7000
Download WiFi fix: Mac and Windows