CAED Open House Overview
Cal Poly’s College of Architecture and Environmental Design Welcomes Prospective Students and Their Families at Open House Weekend April 12-13
Annual Celebration Will Include Numerous Tours and Other Activities; College Will Host Design Village Competition in Poly Canyon April 26-28
SAN LUIS OBISPO — The College of Architecture and Environmental Design (CAED) will welcome hundreds of prospective students, their families and the community to campus during Cal Poly’s Open House weekend April 12- 13. Numerous events will be open to the public including student work exhibits, various tours and the popular Poly Royal Alumni Beer and Wine Garden.
The college will host the Design Village Competition on April 26-28. Scores of teams of students from Cal Poly and other colleges and university architecture programs will construct unique temporary shelters in Poly Canyon.
Open House is the university’s annual showcase of Learn by Doing and the facilities that make that possible.
The Open House events include:
Friday, April 12
- The Construction Management Department will host an hour-long building tour starting at 2 p.m. in the Construction Innovations Center, (No. 186), Room B202
- A Hearst Lecture will take place from 5-7 p.m. in the Business Rotunda, (No. 3), Room 213
Friday and Saturday, April 12 and 13
- Student work exhibits will be on display at various times:
The Landscape Architecture Department exhibit will be open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday in the Walter F. Dexter Building (No. 34), Room 210, and second floor hallways.
The Architecture Department exhibit will be open from noon to 5 p.m. Friday, and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday in the Berg Gallery, Room 105, of the Architecture and Environmental Design Building (No. 5).
The Robert Hifumi Odo Memorial Scholarship Display will be held from noon to 5 p.m. Friday, and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday in the CAED Lobby Gallery (No. 5), Room 212.
- Various tours will be ongoing:
A Digital Fabrication Lab tour will showcase its state-of-the-art laser cutting and 3-D digital printing from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, and 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday in the mezzanine of the Simpson Strong-Tie Demonstration Lab, (No. 187).
A college tour led by CAED Ambassadors departs from the Architecture and Environmental Design Building (No. 5) upper stair court at 11 a.m. Friday, and 10 a.m. Saturday. Both days it will be followed by a Solar Decathlon House Tour from noon to 1 p.m. Friday, and 11 a.m. to noon Saturday, in the C-7 Parking Lot, near California Blvd. The award-winning solar-powered home was designed for the U.S. Department of Energy 2005 Solar Decathlon. It finished third in the nation.
Tours of the Neel Resource Center and Materials Samples will be from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday, and 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at building No. 5, Room 101.
Saturday, April 13
- Tours of the Architectural Engineering Department and materials testing demonstrations will be held 11-11:45 a.m. and 1-1:45 p.m. in the Engineering West Building (No. 21), Room 122A
- The City and Regional Planning Department exhibit is open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the Engineering West Building (No. 21), Room 121A, and the CRP hallway
- Student club and heavy equipment displays hosted by the Construction Management Department will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the H2 parking lot near the engineering buildings (No. 192 and 197) in the northwest section of campus
- A highlight for CAED alumni and friends will be the Poly Royal Alumni Beer and Wine Garden Celebration to be held 2:30-5 p.m. in the Engineering Plaza, near the Bonderson Center (No. 197).
For tickets and more information: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/4th-annual-poly-royal-alumni-beer-wine-garden-tickets-54724629841
For the latest schedule of CAED Open House events, see the Upcoming Events section of the CAED homepage at: http://www.caed.calpoly.edu
Cal Poly Maps: https://maps.calpoly.edu/