Welcome to the CAED Advising Center
CAED Advising Mission Statement
CAED Advising Center strives to provide its students with effective academic advising in an encouraging atmosphere as they navigate their unique undergraduate professional experiences. Our commitment is to our students and their academic, professional, and future success. We believe in an Open Door Policy to encourage students to utilize the Advising Center without an appointment to discuss any matter of importance they may have.
CAED Virtual Advising
The CAED Advising Center is available via zoom, email and phone!
Summer Zoom Drop-in Advising:
CAED Advising Zoom Drop-in Hours: Monday - Thursday 10:00 am – 12:00 pm, No drop-ins on Friday (by appointments only)
Virtual Appointments can be scheduled Monday - Friday. 10 :00 am -12:00 pm & 1:00 – 3:00 pm
Join Zoom Meeting:
CAED Advising Center: https://calpoly.zoom.us/s/2885516404
Mitra Nafisi: https://calpoly.zoom.us/j/8057561325
We will be checking email during our virtual hours of operation and will respond accordingly.
To meet with an advisor virtually, please follow the directions below:
1. Download the free Zoom app with your Cal Poly login information.
o You must have the app downloaded to your computer or phone. Using just the web browser will not allow you to meet privately with an advisor.
2. Test the Zoom app with your Cal Poly login information.
3. During the above times, when you’re ready click to meet with an advisor using your laptop, phone, or tablet:
CAED Advising and Student Resources
The CAED Advising Center provides academic advising and related services as listed below to students in the five majors in the CAED (Architecture, Architectural Engineering, City & Regional Planning, Construction Management and Landscape Architecture).
Dual Advising Model
The College of Architecture and Environmental Design offers a dual advising model for students in the college. This means that you will have access to two sources of academic advising, the CAED Advising Center and your departmental Faculty Advisor.
Please check with your department to find out the name, office location and advising hours of your faculty advisor. Meet with your faculty advisor before registration every quarter. Some departments have mandatory advising. If advising is mandatory, please contact your faculty advisor to set up an appointment. Failure to do so will result in a hold on your future registration.
Faculty advisors can provide the following services and more:
- Help students plan a balanced and realistic schedule.
- Answer course content questions
- Help students improve their academic performance.
- Provide career advising
- Provide information about graduate schools, coops, and future jobs
We encourage you to proactively build rapport with your professional academic advisors as well as your faculty advisor for academic and career guidance throughout your time at Cal Poly.
Advising Tools & Resources
If you are a first-time freshman, you will meet with the professional advisors in the Mustang Success Center throughout your freshman year. Visit the Mustang Success Center.
First-Year Block Scheduling
Cal Poly uses block scheduling for all first-time freshmen.
First-year students are enrolled in a full-time schedule of courses in their Fall quarter, and partial schedules in Winter and Spring. For more information click the link below. https://advising.calpoly.edu/block-schedules Question about your block schedule please contact Mustang Success Center.
We look forward to meeting with you in your second year and beyond.
- General Education and Breadth requirements (GE&B)
- Information on jobs, scholarships, competitions
- Process student-related forms such as curriculum substitution, course withdrawal, course conflict, change of major, etc.
- Referral to university resources
- Review of student's academic record
CAED Multicultural Program
- The CAED Multicultural Program is still in its development phase, however this program has been piloted to allow for a space in which students are able to develop a sense of community and belonging with one another and within the individual college. This is intended to create an inclusive environment that will allow students to feel more comfortable within the setting they are in and they will be more likely to have peers that they feel they are supported by.
The specific objectives that this program consists of are provided below.
· Develop a deeper sense of belonging with their peers.
· Feel a stronger sense of support coming from their peers.
· Feel a stronger sense of support coming from staff and faculty.
· Develop a deeper sense of community with the College of Architecture and Environmental Design.
Upcoming Events for 2021-2022
· Multicultural Program Welcome
· Buddy Program
The internal Buddy Program was piloted during the entirety of the 2020-2021 academic school year. The main objective of this program is for all eligible students to be able to partake in an initiative that will allow them to develop a deeper sense of belonging and connect with peers that they may not have initially been able to connect with. For more information about the program, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you!
Probation & Disqualification
An undergraduate student is automatically placed on academic probation when his or her grade point average drops below 2.0 for the current term, the Cal Poly cumulative, or the higher education cumulative.
Visit the CAED Academic Probation Page for more information.
Former Students Returning
Study 25-35 Hours/Week
- The College of Architecture and Environmental Design Advising Center supports the "Study 25-35 Hours per Week" program.
25-35: What is it?
Academic success is your responsibility, in class and out of class. You must approach your coursework as a 40-50 hour work week.
Study 2 hours/week/unit or 25-35 hours in addition to in class time. Lab/ studio courses sometimes entails additional out-of-class expectations.
Good study habits are the foundation of a successful career at Cal Poly.
We want you to be successful! We want you to be a Cal Poly graduate!